The Family to Family Network of Virginia, an initiative of the Center for Family Involvement at Virginia Commonwealth University’s Partnership for People with Disabilities, has grown from one statewide Family to Family Health Information and Education Center begun in 2005 to a seven-site (and growing) Family to Family Network where family members of culturally and linguistically diverse children and young adults with disabilities have people in their own communities to call upon in their efforts to identify and obtain needed information, services and community supports.
The Partnership, a university center for excellence in developmental disabilities, receives federal and state funding to implement the F2F Network using a replicable peer support model based on Parent to Parent USA evidenced-based practices in matching families one-to-one using trained, volunteer parents, grandparents, siblings, and self-advocates.
The local networks provide:
- 1:1 emotional, informational and disability and community services and systems navigational support
- Family-friendly information and resource referrals on topics such as special education and early intervention services, health care and related financing (such as private insurance, TriCare and Medicaid), disability services, and other community resources
- Expertise in military services for military families
- Expertise in autism through partnerships with local autism groups
- Expertise in deaf culture through collaboration with Hands & Voices
- Expertise in mental and behavioral health through collaboration with NAMI
- Leadership development to support families in advocating for and participating in the design of more family-friendly, effective service systems
- Connections to cultural brokers from culturally & linguistically diverse communities
CFI Data Report 2013-2014
CFI Data Report 2014-2015
National Family to Family Report 2014-2015
National F2FHIC Report 2014-15
Contact the Family to Family Network at (877) 567-1122 Or email the F2F Network director, Nickie Brandenburger at email@example.com